News and Recent Activities
- A full day workshop "Introduction to New Generation STEM Education” was organized for high school teachers on 9 July 2016. The goal of this workshop is to demonstrate how Materials World Modules (MWM) program could be successfully used to teach middle and high school students in relating core STEM concepts to “real world” applications via hands-on activities and engineering designs. The developer of MWM, Prof. Robert Chang of Northwestern University, USA, conducted the workshop which was participated by many school teachers as well as faculty members from NTU and NUS.
- IUMRS-ICEM-2016 - The 15th International Union of Materials Research Societies - International Conference on Electronic Materials (IUMRS-ICEM 2016) was held successfully from 4 to 8 July 2016 in Singapore. The conference was jointly organized by MRS Singapore and IUMRS. 927 participants from 40 countries/regions attended the conference. Besides 14 technical symposia covering all topics of electronic materials, participants also enjoyed plenary and theme lectures, as well a public lecture by Nobel Laureate Shuji NAKAMURA.
- MRS Singapore hosted the IUMRS Executive Council meeting and the 2016 IUMRS General Assembly in Singapore, on 3 & 4 July, immediately before the IUMRS-ICEM 2016. A number of important issues concerning the future of IUMRS were discussed at the meetings. Besides presidents and/or representatives of IUMRS adhering bodies, representatives from Indonesia, Thailand and Vietnam were also invited to attend the general assembly as observers. Participants also enjoyed a half day tour of Singapore's beautiful Gardens by the Bay.
- MRS-S member, Professor Hua Zhang from Nanyang Technological University has made it into the ranking of the World's Hottest Researchers 2015 by Thomson Reuters. In its second year, the global ranking recognises 19 scientists who published at least 14 papers in 2015 with notably high levels of citations. This is Prof Zhang's second time on the list, as he was on the Thomson Reuters' inaugural list last year. Professor Zhang will deliver a theme lecture at IUMRS-ICEM 2016. In addition, 11 scientists from the National University of Singapore and 9 from the Nanyang Technological University have been named among the world’s most prominent scientific minds in Thomson Reuters’ Highly Cited Researchers 2015 report (http://highlycited.com/). Most of them are working in fields related to materials science and technology.
- In the recent General Assembly Meeting of the Asia Pacific Academy of Materials (APAM), held on 2 July 2015 in Singapore, four MRS-Singapore members were elected Academicians of APAM. This brought the total number of Singaporean APAM academicians to 10. The newly elected APAM academicians are
- Subodh Gautam Mhaisalkar, Nanyang Technological University
- Kian Ping Loh, National University of Singapore
- Neal T S Chung, National University of Singapore
- Hua Zhang, Nanyang Technological Universit
- ICMAT 2015 - The 8th MRS-Singapore flagship International Conference on Materials for Advanced Technologies (ICMAT 2015) was held successfully from 29 June to 3 July 2015 in Suntec City, Singapore. The conference was jointly held with the IUMRS International Conference in Asia (IUMRS-ICA) and the 4th Photonics Global Conference in celebration of the International Year of Light. Almost 2000 delegates attended the weeklong event.
- ICMAT 2017 - The 9th International Conference on Materials for Advanced Technologies (ICMAT 2017) will be held from 18 to 23 June 2017.
The Materials Research Society of Singapore (MRS-S) was created in 1999 as a not-for-profit organization to serve a rapidly emerging materials science community in Singapore. The founding President of the Society was Prof. Shih Choon Fong who remains its Principal Advisor. The Society is affiliated with the International Union of Materials Research Societies (IUMRS).
Since its inception, the focus of MRS-S has been to promote materials science not only to researchers in Singapore, but also to publicize the niche capabilities of local researchers throughout Asia and further a field.
To this end, the Society's major activity is the organization of a biannual event - the International Conference on Materials for Advanced Technologies (ICMAT) - that is held in July and attracts more than 1,500 delegates from all over the world.
MRS-S also awards prizes on an annual basis to outstanding honor students in local universities. As the Society matures, it plans to expand its activities through:
- organization of smaller, specialist conferences, and
- provision of scholarships to graduate students
Ms. Qiao Fei
Materials Research Society of Singapore (MRS-S)
BLK S16, #09-12
6 Science Drive 2
National University of Singapore
DID: (65) 6777 8462